Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bands You Should Be Listening To: Reuben


Reuben was a three-piece rock band from the Farnborough/Aldershot area of southern England, comprised of Jamie Lenman [lead vocals, guitarist], Jon Pearce [bassist, backing vocals], and Guy Davis [drums, backing vocals]. They first formed in 1998 as Angel. After releasing a demo, switching their original drummer with Mark Lawton, releasing an EP, and replacing Mark Lawton with Guy Davis, Angel offically changed their name to Reuben which they shortened from "Words from Reuben"
[the title of an Angel song]. To date, Reuben has released three full-length albums [Racecar is Racecar Backwards, Very Fast Very Dangerous, In Nothing We Trust] and one compilation album [We Should Have Gone To University] which collects all the band's various b-sides and rarities. Their music is a fusion of post hardcore, alternative rock, and metal with some pop sensibilities.

Musically, Reuben's songs are varied. They range from slow and melodic to heavy and upbeat, often changing tempo mid-song before changing back or to something completely different. Vocalist Jamie Lenman delivers his smart and honest lyrics through screams, shouts, whispers, and singing. The combination of their music and vocal delivery makes Reuben sound fresh and original. The content of Reuben's lyrics range from life experiences ["Long ago, I woke up early for a job I used to love. But then, one Saturday morning my boss gave me the shove. He made it clear that I was not needed anymore. He had to hire in some other guy while we were away on tour"] to feelings on the state of music today ["Please give me an album that I love straight away, that I don't have to grow into after constant play. See, I buy a lot of records and take most of them back 'cos I feel that disappointment after just one track"] to people needing to take resposibility for their own actions ["You've got to blame somebody for all your fucking mistakes, so someone else will pay for all the bad choices you make and you sho
uld take responsibility for what you do, but you just point your finger at somebody innocent"] to love ["If I could hold you down and drown you in my arms, I would. If I could freeze you now to keep you as you are, I would."].

In 2008, after releasing a split EP, the pressure of running their record label [Hideous Records, which they formed after Very Fast Very Dangerous was released and it's subsequent tour] and band along with their day jobs finally took it's toll. The band cancelled their remaining festival dates and stated that they would be going on an indefinite break with no plans to write, record, or perform as Reuben ever again.

Reuben is one of my all-time favorite bands and have been a staple of what I listen to since I first found out about them. Their break up depressed me, seeing as how they never got a chance to hit the states on a tour. If given the chance, I would probably sacrifice my left arm to see them perform live.

Anyway, here are a few songs I picked to showcase the band to you. I picked one song from each album that I feel best represents the various sides of Reuben.

Stuck In My Throat

Nobody Loves You

Three Hail Marys


No comments:

Post a Comment